Friday, December 5, 2008

Sex, Lies and Jesus Christ

So conversation last night, as well as checking out some pre-curser convo on Facebook has led me to blog today. Normally, I probably would roll my eyes and move on, but I also think it's important to share ones beliefs with others. Notice I said share.

The debate at hand was living together before getting married. A "friend" is getting married next year and the living arrangements between her and her soon-to-be are becoming strained. Currently they live seperately, but it looks as if that situation is about to change. But her dilema is that the pastor of the church where they are to be wed is basically swinging the gauntlet on the two living together before marriage.

While I can understand where the pastor is coming from and understand that many churches and/or religions frown upon such a practice, in today's society can we realistically expect couples to adhere to this practice?

For the record I'm Roman Catholic. But I'm far from the typical Catholic or even Christian. I don't go to church on a regular basis...at least not anymore. Why? Well, there are several reasons...mostly what I believe and feel that God would want out of me as a person versus what has been shoved down my throat growing up, but those are my personal thoughts.

I will share the whole "living together/pre-martial sex" thoughts though.

Today's society (mentally and physically) is far from what it was back when reglion ruled the land. Notice I said religion...and there's reason for that. While there is supposed to be seperation of Church and State, one can't help but to remember how America came to be. Our first foriegn settlers escaped their country because their religious beliefs clashed with the beleifs of those in power. So they found a "new land" and practiced their religion here, set their laws to such religion and judged one another that way as well.

99% of religions are agains pre-martial sex, living with member of the opposite sex who is not family and the like. This bothers me. Who defines when someone is married? The church where the ceremony or ritual takes place? Or the state who authorizes the change in name and tax statuses? What about the free will to live with whoever the hell you choose? Who gets to decided that for you if you can't? Is that still considered free will?

I believe that back at the beginning of time the notion that living together and/or sleeping together before "marriage" was considered a "sin" was formed. Why? Well, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bride_price

"Bride Price" was considered the worth of a bride. This worth diminished if said bride had a child fathered by another man, did not live with her parents or was considered 'used goods'.

And there you have it.

This practice of bride pricing is still going on in many cultures today. Sad really.

While I think the ceremony of marriage is a beautiful thing and shows that you are two souls who pledge to serve your God to the best of your ability as one in said "marriage", I do believe the whole instution of "marriage" is a state run gimic, for lack of better word. The church doesn't change your name, doesn't change your tax status...and therefore shouldn't really care who you live/sleep with.

I don't know. Because I also believe that the state shouldn't have any say should you wish to "marry" somoene of the same sex. Who cares!

And this is why I wish to make my own religion. Don't get me wrong, I do follow my faith to a certain extent...but then I feel it's worthwhile to explore what you have learned and stretch it to fit what you feel in your heart. I don't believe God/Allah/Higher Power would want us to live where we constantly persecute those who we believe are not following "the Law", because there is no definition of whose "Law" it is...it may be your law, but it's not mine.

Okay, that's it...I'm going to stop now before I dig myself deeper.

2 comments:

Angie Gerber said...

Your friend's situation was a lot like mine. I didn't really want to get married in Illinois, but I agreed b/c my grandpa was too sick to travel and b/c I thought my childhood pastor would agree to marry us. The pastor I had known since I was 8 years old was the only man I really wanted to officiate my wedding. Problem was when I approached him about it, I was completely honest about Justin and I's living situation. (wouldn't it had been silly for me to have a different apartment when it's so cheap to just buy a house out here!?!?!) Anyway, he emailed me back and said he couldn't perform the religion b/c of us living in sin! It broke my heart and made me more frustrated with the whole wedding process. I never intended to live with Justin before marriage, but the situation led me to make a decision that was best for the both us. So SILLY!

Shannon said...

Well, based on our conversation last night, you know where I stand. I think that it's the 'judgement' of others that most bothers me. I never claim to be a religious person, but I have beliefs and morals. Along the lines of Angie's response... it just made more sense for us to live together... it's ultimately cheaper for everyone involved and I resent the fact that others have implied that I am a lesser person because of it... or that my marriage won't be as "special." Bite me. LOL.